According to Gallup Research on Millennial Engagement
• They change jobs more often than other generations. About 21 percent report switching jobs within the last year, and 60 percent are open to a different opportunity.
• Millennial turnover costs the U.S. economy an estimated $30.5 billion annually.
• 44 percent of Millennials say they are more likely to be engaged when their manager holds regular meetings with them. But only 21 percent of Millennials meet with their manager on a weekly basis.
According to ManPower Group Research on Millennials and Careers:
• The top priorities when looking for a job are money (92 percent), security (87 percent), holidays/time off (86 percent), great people (80 percent), and flexible working (79 percent).
According to studies conducted by Upwork and Freelancers Union
• Freelancing currently contributes nearly $1 trillion dollars to the US economy, almost 5% of the GDP
• The majority of the workforce will freelance by 2027 based on workforce growth rates found in their report “Freelancing in America 2017”
In addition to technical skills, companies and business leaders are highlighting the need for soft skills.
Google’s Project Oxygen studied the qualities of its top managers, and found that a full seven soft skills ranked higher than technical expertise:
• Be a good coach
• Empower your team and don’t micromanage
• Express interest in team members’ success and personal wellbeing
• Be productive and results-oriented
• Be a good communicator and listen to your team
• Help your employees with career development
• Have a clear vision and strategy for the team